Monday, September 7, 2009

Is Promotion A Natural Act?

"I just updated my Squidoo lens: Underwater Basket Weaving And You."
"I just updated my Squidoo lens: Underwater Basket Weaving And You."
"I just updated my Squidoo lens: Underwater Basket Weaving And You."
"I just updated my Squidoo lens: Underwater Basket Weaving And You."
"I just updated my Squidoo lens: Underwater Basket Weaving And You." 
DM: Hey! Check out my new lens on Underwater Basket Weaving.



Although we seem to be bombarded by all forms of promotion because of the Internet, promotion is an idea as old as humans have been around. From the dawn of time we have grunted things like, "Ugh. The hunting is far greater on the plains on THAT side of the lake than they are on this side," to, "My pop is better than yours."

It is a natural act and sometimes the only way that anyone will know anything about what we have to offer, but too much tarnishes the horn we toot from. True, long standing success is built on the qualities of those who pitch into our cause. Selfless promotion has long-winded legs and says a lot about our personal branding. People will naturally look upon the generosity in our actions of goodwill towards others as a sign of being genuine and worthwhile.

How, what, and why do you promote the way you do?

3 comments:

  1. I love the phrase: "too much tarnishes the horn we toot from".

    There definitely is an art to how we promote ourselves and the scatter gun approach is not the best method!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Darren Rowse of Problogger.com (one of the world's top Bloggers) suggests that there is a fine balance between too much (spammy) and too little promotion and illustrates that from his own experience. His initial post, is followed up by a post explaining the 9 ways he "seeds" the promotion of his blog. Worth a visit to hear the perspective of a globally acknowledged expert:
    The Myth of Great Content Marketing Itself

    I concur in the virtue of "selfless marketing" - I think a fundamental ethos of Squidoo (and genuine Web 2.0 approaches) is "collaborative marketing". Twitter, for example, provides ample opportunity to tweet about other's great content (such as Factor Y).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, now I'm going to feel funny about publishing that Lens on Underwater Basket Weaving I've been meaning to do...

    ReplyDelete